By David Drake; reprinted with permission; first published in
Opinion in the Des Moines Register
August 11,2026
SAIPAN, Northern Mariana Islands ― I had to look at the tiny dots on my world globe to find the U.S. territory of Guam, and its neighboring U.S. commonwealth island of Saipan. After Super Typhoon Bavi struck in July, I was asked along with hundreds of other Red Cross volunteers across the continental U.S. and territories to sign up in our different areas of training to travel to Guam in the Western Pacific, three plane flights from Des Moines.
Having trained in disaster mental health along with my years
as a psychiatrist, I applied and was put on standby until deployed just a few
days later. The report we received was of severe conditions and not to apply
unless we were prepared to deal with the most basic of amenities. So I went out
and prepared by purchasing quick dry underwear and socks, bathing cloths to
replace showers, and additional batteries to power my watch, phone, and, yes,
my hearing aids. The usual deployment time for mental health is 10 days, but
due to the distance and cost potential volunteers had to agree to be gone for
up to three weeks.
The Red Cross had written: “Super typhoon Bavi brought
catastrophic destruction across the Mariana Islands, including Guam and the
Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), with destructive Category
5 winds, torrential rainfall, widespread power outages, damaged homes and
infrastructure, and significant disruptions to daily life. Communities are still navigating the physical
and emotional impacts of recovery while rebuilding homes, restoring services,
and coping with prolonged displacement and uncertainty.” Stress and fatigue
among residents was cited as severe.
I left Des Moines for Chicago to Honolulu to Guam, passing
the international date line, and landed in an area 15 hours later than Iowa the
day after.
Red Cross volunteers assist with relief from Typhoon Bavi on
the island of Saipan on July 18, 2026.
My time there was complicated: interesting, at times boring,
challenging, frustrating, and inspiring as our teams worked to support the
local population. The population in all the islands had endured a previous even
more severe typhoon just a few months earlier. Resilience and hardiness were
rampant. And while meeting with people in these circumstances, I got a call
from home that our garbage disposal was broken. Our own problems are privileged
and minimal.
I’m told the Red Cross is basically run like the military.
You hear words like "deployment" and "mission." You can hurry up and wait and expect a change
of plans frequently.
More: How to move forward while agreeing on almost nothing
The Red Cross brings together such resources as food, tarps,
mosquito nets, cleanup kits, warehouse staff, transportation, media
connections, transportation, sheltering, mental health, spiritual care and many
other components. As the deployment of several hundred to these islands
proceeded, individual financial assistance was eventually offered for housing
repair funds to the many who qualify. Many camped out overnight to be in line
to get the money available.
Prior to departure we were all told to expect no
electricity, no air conditioning and no
hot water. I came prepared for all that but it ended up affecting just one of
the islands we staffed, in Rota. I would have naively volunteered if needed to
have gone there and imagine I would have been miserable. I spoke to a chaplain
who was in Rota for a week. He slept
along with four others in one room on cots.
They had a generator for just a few hours a day to charge their devices.
And they had cold showers.
I was comfortable throughout, on Guam initially and then at
Saipan, save for the heat and humidity, which we felt as we stopped to check on
families to see how they were coping, often in tandem with volunteers who were
passing out supplies. One day I was embraced by two women, one who was in tears
from her losses and discomfort. Some had had no power over the last four
months. We saw few power trucks throughout the neighborhoods. We were told both
the local government and the power company were in poor financial shape.
Through it all it is clear that islanders in the territory
of Guam,and the commonwealth of Saipan were appreciative of our work. In my
last few days I found this quote by Victor Frankl:“The meaning of life is to
give life meaning.” This kind of humanitarian work is part of what does that
for me.
I encourage others to consider volunteering with the Red
Cross. I worked with folks from many backgrounds and ages. There is a place for
everyone to be involved at the local and even national level. Expenses for
travel, lodging, and meals are paid.
David Drake
David E. Drake is an Iowa psychiatrist. Contact:
drakeoffice@gmail.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment